Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Houndstooth Quilt

The design process can be an interesting one!

I remember one time in Bee Blessed we decided to make arrowhead blocks.  For some reason, when I looked at that block I saw different patterns, and filed those ideas away!

Earlier this year I made this Starburst quilt, for a summer issue of Popular Patchwork, and realised one of those arrowhead ideas!


Popular Patchwork cover.July


But I needed to 'scratch the itch' a little more, and so my modern Houndstooth Quilt came into being (in fact there were 4 other variations of this one!).

Houndstooth Quilt for LPQ (Nov16)

Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine fell in love with it and commissioned it for their November issue, which is in the shops now!

Houndstooth Quilt for LPQ (Nov16)
Photo courtesy of LPQ
They also asked for a matching cushion:

P1110795

I'll admit that this quilt is a little more modern than my usual style, but I love the 9 steps of gradation in the Kona solids from Black to Silver.

Kona Pomegranate has been one of my favourite colours since I discovered Kona solids - I love how it completely interrupts all that grey!

Houndstooth Quilt for LPQ (Nov16)

And just look at that bright canary yellow on the back!

It's a bad habit of mine not to look at blocks at face value! You never know what you might discover!

Happy sewing!

Jude xo

6 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. I really appreciate it & I will always reply. (If you don't get a reply from me it is because you are a 'no reply comment' blogger. You might want to change your blog settings to make sure folks can reply to your comments more easily.) Jxo